“Simon? Oh yeah, he’s just another middle-aged geek.”
A place for me to put stuff I’ve done for others to use.
- Computers Sinclair ZX81 in 1981. Wrote my first BASIC program shortly after aged ten. Then Dragon 32, Amstrad CPC (I wrote and released many Text Adventures in the 80s and 90s. Progressed onto PCs with a 4.77mhz XT in 1990, shortly followed by an Elonex 386-sx25. Missed Amiga/Atari/Spectrum progression of many other geeks. I’m a believer in Free/Open Source software and use Linux for servers.
- Programming BASIC, Quill, Adlan, TADS three psuedo-langauges for Adventure writing), Turbo-C, Perl, Bash, PHP and recently Bootstrap. I enjoy the problem solving and logical procedural aspects of coding and since the late 90s have written, improved and maintained a large Perl/MySql Equine management web application for a charity.
- Fidonet I ran 2:255/90 for many years – a Fidonet bulletin board, eventually progressing to being RC25 and organising the UK’s Fidonet distribution and international links over modem and later ISDN links, eventually giving up around 2002 as the Internet provided better alternatives. (My Fidonet Software)
- Employment Labouring then forestry to start with. Then IT Support for a local internet company. Then worked for a family-run Equine charity.
- Hobbies Walking, Geocaching, Cycling (Common theme: Exploring, learning)